Technology Leads

This year, our school is doing an initiative to make sure that we use technology with more fidelity. Although I am a big proponent of using technology, I wanted to make sure that I am using it in a way that is making the lesson better, not just using technology to say I'm using technology. My boss even has a person coming into school who is, for lack of a better term, a tech guru in our district.

Today during my meeting, I told her about how my sixth grade has just finished working out writing our own mythologies using the Hero's Journey as a template. The students had a choice to create a podcast or a comic strip.

For the Podcast, my students used an app called Anchor. This is such an easy app to use. The student could create small clips that are all put into one longer episode. We listened to the first one today and the rest will be released as the week goes along. Next year, we are going to make sure to create a weekly podcast that is going to showcase what is going on in the classrooms and or the school. Being the first time we did this, my kids just used the microphone from the iPads. Next year, we are going to have headphones with microphones so that it sounds a little more...polished. The picture is a link to the site.

The second option my students were allowed to chose from was a website called StoryBoard That. I created a template for the kids that allowed them to walk through the hero's journey. The website then had different backgrounds, characters, etc, for them to choose from. My students also started to present those today as well. I am loving how these have turned out. If you are interested in checking this site out, it is a paid site. There is a two week free trial. That is what I am using at this time. Click on the picture below to see the site. 

While meeting with our tech person today, she told me about the website called Book Creator. This is a site that allows you to make 40 FREE books. The students can create these as well as teachers. I love the different features on this site. There is a way to read the story and then the students can listen to the reading as well as follow along with the words. I think I will be using this next year in place of StoryboardThat. Click on the picture below to sign up for this site. 



Are there any great sites you have for the students to use to help support your lessons? I know I am always looking for some new ones!





Comments