What I'm Teaching This Week

Teaching four grade levels can be difficult. I think the thing that is the most helpful and keeps me the most sane is the fact that I can print from my computer to the copier. I am also very fortunate to have a wonderful secretary who allows me to have kids get my copies randomly if I forget.

Like most teachers, I love Instagram. I am on it too much a lot trying to get ideas for my classroom, but I miss the idea of reading through a blog to find a little bit more information on what is REALLY going on in the classroom. Because of that, I am starting this up again. I moved over to Wordpress for awhile, but I hated that format. This is way more my speed.

So, I will try to highlight what is going on in my classroom. I am working on making more of my own resources, but I will also highlight those of other teachers that I use. Fifth grade is starting Maniac Magee.  I am new to teaching fifth and sixth grade reading. I do not love this novel, but it is what was available to me. If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Sixth grade has been working on a hero's journey for awhile now. I am loving how things are turning out. We first listened to the podcast Becoming Mother Nature. From there, I used this amazing resource from Jadyn Thone. If you are looking for the MOST comprehensive hero's journey unit, THIS. IS. IT!


My students took the podcast and analyzed it. From there, they are starting to write their own hero's journey. They will have an option to create a PowToon!, write a short story, or create a podcast of their own. I am pretty excited about it.

Seventh grade is working on "Monsters Are Due on Maple Street." The students did their first read of it today. I am going to have them read it another time to analyze it for mood and tone. They will then be able to compare it with the original Twilight Zone episode as well as one that is a little more modern.

Finally, My eighth grade is reading a short story by one of my favorite authors, Robert Cormier. Today, they did a little bit of research about him. Tomorrow, we are going to do our first read through of "The Mustache." I hope my kids love him as much as I do.

I will try to go a little more in depth on each of my lessons throughout the week. What are you doing to get you through to the end of the year?

Comments